Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My Weight Loss Journey

Since January 2007, I've made a renewed commitment to myself to get in better shape. Like a lot of people, I've had my weight go up and down quite a bit over the years. My problem has always been sticking to a low-fat diet for a long period of time. Enter Dr. Atkins! I decided to try the low-carb approach to weight loss and health management, and so far I've been very very happy with the results.

The low-carb lifestyle has been very easy for me to adjust to because the bulk of my favorite foods are no longer "off limits" the way they were on a low fat diet. Foods like steak, cheese, nuts, and eggs are now a regular part of my life again - without the guilt. Who knew you could eat rich, luxurious, satisfying food and still lose weight?! Apparently lots of people - because the more I continue to learn about this healthy way of eating, the more people I find who are living it too!

I'm by no means a low-carb or fitness expert of any kind. I'm just a regular guy who has finally found a way of eating that allows me to be happy, full, and healthy all at the same time! I'm going to us this blog to chronicle my journey as the pounds continue to come off. I'm going to log what I'm eating each day as well. Not so much as an example to anyone else of what you should eat - but just to keep a log of what is and asn't working for me.

Here's where I am right now. I started at 212 pounds in January, and I'm now at 172 pounds. That's 40 pounds of weight off my frame in six months. I know many people who have dropped weight much faster than that, but I'm VERY content to just keep losing at a steady pace. As I approach my goal weight of 158 pounds (I hope I can get there) the pounds are peeling off a bit slower now - but that's to be expected.

Are YOU "Livin' La Vida Low Carb" (to borrow a phrase from low-carb icon Jimmy Moore)? I'd love to hear from you. Maybe you're thinking about trying it out? I'd be happy to share my experience with you. Click on "Comments" below!

2 Comments:

At 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just hoping you keep your cholesterol in check. I can't see that bacon, beef, sausage, etc eaten as part of a daily diet could be good for the heart and arteries!!! I myself have lost 74lbs over a 2year period by doing nothing more than reducing portion size, cutting out unhealthy snacks, and excercising at least 3 times a week.

 
At 3:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all CONGRATS on your weight loss! Good for you! I always like to hear weight loss success stories!

So far so good on my cholesterol - my latest blood work looks terrific!

More and more studies are coming out showing that eating low carb actually IMPROVES HDL cholesterol (the good kind) while at the same time lowering triglycerides dramatically. So far in my case that's proving to be true. You can find a nice little summary on cholesterol as it relates to low carb eating at http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/carbcholesterol.htm

Keep me posted on your weight loss - I'd love to be updated on how you're doing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home